Botanical Group - Te Rōpū Huaota
Wanganui Museum Botanical Group
The Wanganui Museum Botanical Group was set up in 1968 to “record and study native plants”. WMBG still concentrates on native plants, although most members have a keen interest in all plants in the wild and in cultivation. Recent meetings and field trips have concentrated on native plants, plants growing overseas, plants in gardens and parks and weeds. WMBG is friendly and welcomes all new members. You don’t need to be a plant expert. All you need is an interest in plants.
What do we do?
- hold monthly informal meetings with local and outside speakers on botanical themes
- have monthly field trips, mostly to native forest, wetlands and coast
- run workshops on identifying native plants and other plants
- make inventories of plants for landowners, DoC, Wanganui District Council
- send out an annual newsletter with the following year’s programme and reports of past trips
- teach each other about identifying and growing plants, especially native plants
- share plant material for growing
- assist with trips, work and talks for the Whanganui Summer Programme, Friends of Gordon Park, Bushy Park, Forest and Bird, Birding Wanganui
The first Tuesday of every month (except January)
7.30 pm in the Davis Theatre, Whanganui Regional Museum
Held usually Saturday or Sunday before the monthly meeting
Advertised in Midweek in “What’s On” on the Wednesday before the field trip, with contact phone number supplied
Need more information?
Contact our Secretary on 06 347 8547
Join the WMBG; information on subscriptions supplied by the Secretary
Request a free copy of the WMBG newsletter
Media and events
WMBG advertises events on the Whanganui Regional Museum website www.wrm.org.nz. Keep an eye on What’s On/Events to see what is coming up.
Click here for the latest 2016 WMBG newsletter
Click here for the Whanganui Plant List No.228
Dustins Ltd was a catering firm founded in Whanganui in 1880 by William Dustin. The firm was in business until 1957. During World War I Dustins ran the military canteens at Trentham and Featherston army camps. This photograph, taken in 1940, shows the Dustins Ltd shop at 43 Victoria Avenue in Whanganui. This photograph comes from the Tesla Studios Collection.